I discovered longarm quilting in 2014, and have been happily sewing and quilting at my home-based studio in Oregon City, Oregon ever since!
My quilting adventure began in September 2014 when I attended a local quilt show to explore quilting as a future hobby. As soon as I touched the handles of a longarm quilting machine, I knew I had found an exciting tool that I wanted to learn more about – and learning is something that I am very passionate about! I set out to learn everything I could, and started quilting for others in December 2014.
Since I had never made a quilt, I focused on the craft of quilting fabric first – and not the piecing. With an artistic background in painting and ceramics, small practice whole cloth samples became textural canvases for painting projects as I explored ways to utilize quilted textiles in new ways. As I shared my progress with others, I also started teaching others what I was learning – and spent the next two years immersed in quilting before returning full-time to teaching special education in 2017.
As a full-time special educator and high school sewing club advisor, I spend most of my sewing and quilting energy working on personal and charity projects these days – with occasional special projects for clients. I also enjoy taking and teaching classes – perhaps we will meet each other someday!
- Pat Sloan’s Podcast American Patchwork and Quilting, Episode 283-Nov 2, 2015 click here
- Featured Quilter of the Month on Quilt It! The Longarm Quilting Show (Season 7) click here
- Color Me Quilted – Noteworthy section of Machine Quilting Unlimited July/August 2016.
- Wheels of Commerce: Money Circulates by Virginia Hammond 2017
- Coloring Quilt Techniques
- Freemotion Quilting
- Pacific Northwest Quilt Expo 2016 – Featured Quilter
- The Pine Needle Quilt Shop – Lake Oswego, OR
- Modern Domestic – Portland, OR
- Boersma’s – McMinnville, OR
Quilts by me/quilted by me juried into:
- Quilt Con 2018
- Pacific International Quilt Festival 2016
- Houston International Quilt Festival 2016
- MQS – New England 2015
- Pacific Northwest Quilt Expo 2015
- Pacific Northwest Quilt Expo 2017
- Pacific Northwest Quilt Expo 2016
- Best Longarm Machine Workmanship: Pacific International Quilt Festival 2016 – Admit One to the Sands of Time by Virginia Hammon & Coleen Barnhardt see here
- Best Longarm/Midarm Quilting: Northwest Quilters Show 2016 – Ocean Waves Francais by Pat Blanchard & Coleen Barnhardt
- Best Large Pieced Quilt: Northwest Quilters Show 2016 – Ocean Waves Francais by Pat Blanchard & Coleen Barnhardt
- Best Modern Quilt: Northwest Quilters Show 2016 – Reach for the Stars by Coleen Barnhardt
- Best Mixed Technique: Northwest Quilters Show 2016 – Cosmic Curves by Tony Haas and Coleen Barnhardt
- 1st Place Small Wholecloth: MQS New England 2016 – Color Me Quilted by Coleen Barnhardt